- Authors often record different alternatives for the same passage
- the scope of the alternatives ranges from single word (or part) to blocks (see Vetter & McDonald 2003)
- we need a mechanism able to cope with different dimensions of alternation, similar (if not the same) to http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-alt.html
- respect the <alt/> element, we need also a system to declare the evidence of editorial/authorial choices. For instance in some cases we can say which alternative was preferred by the author because the text is underlined or has other functional marks (see again Vetter & McDonald 2003), or because in later draft we have evidence that one reading has been preferred
- The proposal is therefore to create a new element or to add an attribute to <alt/> in order to link to a functional mark or an editorial discussion about a specific point.