MarkLogic Server is a "content server": a combination of a native XML database with a fully featured implementation of the W3C XQuery language that allows XML content to be searched, queried, updated, and transformed in many different ways.
- schema-independent (but schema-aware) loading and querying of XML content, stored in native XML format
- extensive collation and natural-language support (for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, Simplified Chinese, and Russian [as of late 2007])
- full implementation of XQuery (based on May 2003 version of specs; update planned but not scheduled) with extensions for XML update, full-text search, etc.
- built-in HTTP and WebDAV servers; Java connector; email processing support
- rich security model, with ability to define multiple access groups and user roles; permissions can be tied to URLs in the database or to specific library functions
- many options for full-text indexing and searching, including stemmed searching (in all supported languages) and user-created thesaurus
Please sign all comments.
David Sewell presented University of Virginia Press experience using ML Server in a panel session at the 2007 Members' Meeting (DavidSewell 20:45, 5 November 2007 (GMT))
David Sewell presented University of Virginia Press experience using ML Server at Chicago Colloquium on DHCS following 2014 TEI conference and members meeting (Kshawkin 18:59, 24 October 2014 (CEST))
- Red Hat Linux (x86, x64)
- Sun Solaris 8 and 9 (SPARC) and 10 (SPARC, x64)
- Windows Server 2003 (x86, x64)
Source code and licensing
Commercial: full implementation via individually negotiated license. (Expensive: somewhere in the five-figure range, $US). 30-day trial licenses are available.
There is also a free-of-charge Free Developer License version, limited to 1 TB of data.
Support for TEI
No out-of-the-box special support for TEI. The TEI namespace (like any namespace) may be configured with a default prefix such as tei: in the administrative console, so that code does not need to declare the namespace each time it is used.
Distributed as compiled binaries only.
Official documentation in English only. Searching and collation functions are avaiable for: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, Simplified Chinese, and Russian [as of late 2007]
Free support via users' mailing list (including Free Developer License users). Purchasers of the full license receive direct individual support from MarkLogic technical support staff.
- University of Virginia Press Rotunda publications are built entirely on MarkLogic Server
- Alberta Learning Center
Current version number and date of release
7.0-4: September 2014
History of versions
- 7.0-3: ____
- 7.0-2: ____
- 7.0: November 14, 2013
- 6.0: September 12, 2012
- 5.0: October 4, 2011
- 3.2-3.1: October 2007
How to download or buy
- Free Developer License version: http://developer.marklogic.com/download
- queries about full licensing: email@example.com