OxGarage is a web, and RESTful, service to manage the transformation of documents between a variety of formats. The majority of transformations use the Text Encoding Initiative format as a pivot format. It is a good tool for conversion from TEI to Word (.docx), or Word (.docx) to TEI, but also does many other formats.
OxGarage can be used to
- Convert TEI documents to HTML, LaTeX, Word, OpenOffice, and ePub
- Process TEI ODD documents to make schemas or documentation
- Convert Word documents to TEI
- Transform some common XML formats (NLM, P4, Docbook) to or from TEI
- Manage any of the document conversions supported by OpenOffice
A user uploads a document, chooses the target format, OxGarage works out the pipeline of required transformation steps, performs them, and returns the resulting new document. For example, an ODD document can be turned into ePub by
- expanding the ODD file by merging with the TEI P5 source
- converting the resulting XML to TEI Lite for formatting
- transforming TEI Lite XML to HTML and packaging as ePub
OxGarage takes care of all three stages, the user does not need to know about the middle stage. All transformations using TEI are performed with XSLT 2.0 stylesheets, some other transformations use JODConverter and a headless OpenOffice instance.
The results for some transformations can be tweaked by choosing different output profiles. These are defined on the OxGarage server.
Please sign all comments.
A standard modern web browser is all that is required to make use of the Web Client. If you want to deploy the underlying system yourself you need Sun/Oracle Java 6 JRE, Tomcat, OpenOffice, etc. To build it you also need Maven and various java libraries, and a Debian setup is provided. For more information see https://github.com/sebastianrahtz/oxgarage
Source code and licensing
OxGarage source code is hosted on Github, at https://github.com/sebastianrahtz/oxgarage; is is a fork and extension of the EGE project (on Sourceforge: http://enrich-ege.sourceforge.net/) and is licensed under the GPL.
Support for TEI
The basic stylesheets provided with OxGarage (and ENRICH-EGE) use TEI as an output and pivot format.
The Web Client and Documentation is only provided in English
See doc directory at https://github.com/sebastianrahtz/oxgarage
Contact email@example.com for best-effort support concerning the OxGarage customisation.
- http://www.tei-c.org/oxgarage/ -- This production version sometimes uses an older release of the software.
- http://oxgarage.oucs.ox.ac.uk:8080/ege-webclient/ -- This development version is more likely to have bugs in it.
Current version number and date of release
Version 2.3.3 March 2014
History of versions
How to download or buy
- from Github (https://github.com/sebastianrahtz/oxgarage)
- as a Debian package from http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/teideb/