"PhiloLogic, developed by the ARTFL Project at the University of Chicago in collaboration with The University of Chicago Library's Electronic Text Services, provides sophisticated searching of a wide variety of large encoded databases on the World Wide Web. It is an easy to use, yet powerful, full-text search, retrieval, and reporting system for large multimedia databases (texts, images, sound) with the ability to understand complex text structures (e.g., SGML, BetaCode) with rich metadata. Its functions were originally designed and continue to be for scholarly research in databases of literary, religious, philosophical, and historical texts.
"This version of PhiloLogic has been developed by the ARTFL Project in collaboration with the University of Chicago Library's Electronic Text Services (ETS). Other versions of PhiloLogic, including those developed for dictionaries and encyclopedias, have somewhat different functionality."
"Originally implemented to support large databases of French literature, PhiloLogic has been extended to support a wide variety of textual and hypermedia databases in collaboration with numerous academic institutions and, more recently, commercial organizations. PhiloLogic is a modular system, in which a textbase is treated as a set of coordinated or related databases, typically including an object (units of text such as a letter, scene, document, etc) database, a word forms database, a word concordance index mapped to textual objects, and an object manager mapping text objects to byte offsets in data files. Each of these databases is stored and managed using its own subsystem."
- light, fast, robust, extensively used and tested
- few dependencies, basic installation almost wholly self-contained
- out of the box operation with many configuration options
- TEI-Lite XML/SGML (and variants such as MEP and CES) with Unicode support
- support for plaintext, Dublin Core/HTML, and DocBook
- MySQL back-end for bibliographic searching
- optional XML-aware or non-XML bibliographic loaders
- interoperability across certain systems
- fault tolerant
- open source
Please sign all comments.
Runs on Linux or Mac OSX.
Source code and licensing
Support for TEI
TEI Lite supported "out of the box"
Documentation is in English.
- Philologica Indica et Buddhica: Description - Implementation - Registration
- SARIT: Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts: Basic search - Advanced search - Available texts
Current version number and date of release
History of versions
- 3.002 (YYYY-MM-DD)
- 3.001 (YYYY-MM-DD)
- 2.9pre9 (YYYY-MM-DD)