TEI Music SIG Meeting 15 October, 2011, Würzburg, Germany
The SIG meeting took place at the annual TEI gathering, which this year was in Würzburg, Germany. The SIG met for one hour and a half, during which RV briefly reported on activities since the last meeting; then the group worked together towards determining new short- and long-term activities.
Report on this year's activities
The SIG has mainly been busy completing the work left-over from last year around the introduction of the new element tei:notatedMusic and the encoding of texts containing music notation. Work completed:
- opened Webspace;
- publication Guidelines for notatedMusic and recommendations for encoding texts with music notation;
- preparation and delivery of workshop for TEIMM2011: Combining Music Notation and Text – Encoding and Rendering MEI in TEI.
Planned new activities
Having completed work on the TEI grant, the SIG is at the end of a project and needs to establish new work to pursue the SIG's agenda. The following are some ideas that were discussed during the meeting.
People named next to tasks
- Benjamin Bohl - BB
- Johannes Kepper - JK
- Elena Pierazzo - EP
- Raffaele Viglianti - RV
- New element for inclusion of multimedia files (RV to write feature request)
- During the council's discussion for approving <notatedMusic>, it was suggested to work on an element to include multimedia files in TEI documents. We will open a feature request to continue this conversation. This element could be called <media> or perhaps it is necessary to create a new overarching class to include also <graphic>; NB next council meeting is on Nov 5th.
- Prepare a customization that integrates MusicXML in TEI via <notatedMusic> (RV + BB)
- Prepare a page on the Wiki that lists projects relevant to the SIG's aims and ask for contributions on the list (ALL)
- Besides the obvious usefulness of such list, this is partly with the aim of encouraging more conversation on the list.
- Integrate TEI within MEI (RV to ask list)
- Besides independent research, the list will be asked to contribute their views and needs.
- Compare headers of MEI and TEI (mei:meiHead and tei:teiHeader) (JK to lead, RV, EP to help for manuscript description)
- This may result in a ODD with <equiv>s to move from MEI to TEI and in the writing of a white paper to contribute to the expansions of TEI's manuscript description. This relates to last year's suggestions within the MSS SIG to cooperate with other SIGs for a revision of the manuscript description module.